Thursday, September 11, 2008

Social Variety Disorder

Another thing I just love about this city is you can be as lonely or as social as you want to be, without really having to know anybody. Tonight, when I got home from work, I realized that I had left my keys at home by accident, so I had to wait for one of my roommates to get home to let me in. Being locked out in New York isn't really all that bad. It's actually kind of a blessing (or at least when the weather is good). It forced me to walk around and enjoy my neighborhood. If I felt like being social, I could have gone to a bar and probably made a friend or two, like I did last weekend: We don't have cable set up yet and my roommates aren't huge football fans, so they weren't willing to accompany me to one of the many local sports bars to watch my fantasy players dominate, so I went by myself. I sat at the corner of the bar and met some very nice fellow football fans. That's the wonderful thing about this city: I'm able to go to a bar by myself and people don't look at me like I'm diseased or pathetic. I was able to enjoy a bloody mary and discuss my fantasy team with the other patrons. It was a lovely afternoon.

Tonight I chose to be somewhat anti-social. I've been in a bit of a rut and it was nice to break the cycle a little. Lately my schedule has been: up at 5:45am; get to school by 7:00am; have the life sucked out of me between 8:00am and 3:10pm; call parents, plan, deal with classroom construction, and try to locate any teaching resources I can find since I haven't even been given textbooks yet between 3:10 and 5:00pm; get home by 5:30; run for an hour, eat, and go to bed by 11:00pm; then start all over the next day. So when I realized I couldn't get back into my house for a while, I decided to have a little quiet time to myself and get some dinner. I went to a little asian noodle place on 2nd that has become a staple in the diets of myself and my roommates and dined alone, without even the protection of a book or newspaper. I sat by the window, watched the people and the cars go by, and emptied my mind. It was nice.

4 comments:

The Mejias said...

love reading the blog, even if the information i learn in it sometimes sucks .. nyc is a "different" place to say the least in many regards from my 3 visits there . . keep writing cuz i enjoy how you lay it all out :)

Anonymous said...

I'm all for the quiet time. Its nice to let your mind dribble slowly out...So proud of you!!Keep it up.
Love Jenny J
Hey post some pics of your place..

Anonymous said...

Holy crap Erin! Sounds pretty chaotic but oh so much fun - at least for us that don't have your hectic schedule. I'm surprised to hear how structured the kids have to be as far as getting escorted to classes, etc. I kept imagining "Welcome Back Kotter" and all the craziness that goes with the NYC kids in school. I hear you're still planning on the marathon...at least you're getting the excercise and training without really having to train. You get it just getting to, from and all around the campus! I thought my life was full of excitement! Yeah right...my life right now consists of checking out your blogs, sending pictures of Claire Olivia and waiting for Greg to get home to have a drink with me. JUST KIDDING...I'm actually looking for employment again! Yep, me goin back to work again. Maybe not 9 to 5, but definitely back with the work horses so to speak.

How are the bloody mary's??? I'm still a margarita fan, but have grown to enjoy a "dirty scotch" now and then, except Greg won't let me dirty up his good scotch, I have to use the "other stuff" for my dirties!

Well take care of yourself and as always, enjoy hearing about your time in NYC.

Love you! Aunt Kathy

Anonymous said...

When are you gonna start your book? I know you have nothing else to do and all, but I need some new reading material. I would enjoy reading a book if it was written by you. Glad to hear you will be attending the reunion, can't wait to see you!
Love,
Darnell