Today was one of those perfect New York days that makes you want to find any reason to stay outside. I have heard countless times about how beautiful New York can be in the fall, but today gave me the first glimpse into how breathtaking this city can really be.
The leaves have begun to change and the air has begun to bite. Scarves and overcoats are becoming more and more prevalent on the streets as the winds and rains pick up. The uncomfortable heat and stickiness in the air is gone, replaced by a brisk, refreshing breeze that messes up my hair and kisses my face in the morning. It is officially autumn in New York (but significantly less cheesy than the movie).
I walked home from work, as I do every day, exhausted from the week. I got to my apartment, finally able to sit down. I realized that rent checks have a funny way of significantly reducing the number on my ATM receipt, so, in an attempt to avoid a little minus sign in front of that number, I thought it would be a good idea to deposit my HUGE city government-issued paycheck (...and that, my friends, is what I like to call an oxymoron and is clearly false). I put on my scarf and my new olive green trench from Century 21 (still awesome) and headed out to the bank. As soon as I got outside and felt the breeze through my hair and the afternoon sun on my skin, I was brought back to life. Lately, my job has made a continual effort at sucking me dry of any optimism, warmth, and happiness and has, unfortunately, been quite successful at it. Today, however, despite the absurdity and vacuum of negativity that I was forced to endure between the hours of 8 and 3, I was reminded of why the decision to move to this city was a good one. As I made my way to the WaMu on Madison Avenue in my new coat and scarf and my old comfortable shoes, I realized that I was wholly and completely happy to be here, a feeling that I have been awaiting for two months. So, I left the WaMu, slightly wealthier, and decided to walk without destination. As I passed each storefront, I could sense this feeling of wonder and amazement for the city grow with subtle undertones of reassurance and satisfaction.
The feeling is quite difficult to put into words because of its uniqueness to the city. There's something about the energy of this city and the people in it that is unlike any other place I have been. The colors, the fashion, the variety of people on the street (and their dogs) are all dynamic and in constant motion, making a simple walk down the street vibrant and exciting. The concrete and brick that make up the majority of the city still somehow manage to be comforting and warm. I don't know that anyone can truly understand that warmth unless you have lived here and even then, it took me two months. Or, maybe, it's just the allure of the city and the season that seem to perfectly compliment one another and a visitor of only one day can be filled with this warmth. All I know is, although my relationship with New York is new, I think it might be love.
(O.k., maybe it did get a little cheesy, but still not as cheesy as the movie.)
P.S. Please remind me of this romantic feeling I have toward the city when I'm freezing my buns off in January. Thanks.
Friday, October 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Erin,
I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoy reading your bolgs! I feel like I am going on a new little adventure every time I log on :o). Thank you for taking the time to share your stories. You tell them in such a way, i want to keep reading. I hope we get a chance to catch up sometime soon. I'm glad you are finally loving the place you live. You're in my prayers. LP isn't the same without you Ms. Friend.<3ASHLEY
What movie are you talking about? -Erica
Erin,
God is good, ALL the time. I have been praying so hard that the city show you its brighter side. This recent blog gives me hope for you. You are an excellent author. I say you should try your hand at writing books. Sound like a movie? "Sex and the City"?
Be well. All my love, SMCC
Friend you are so whitty and wonderful...I love you!!! Write more please!!! Love, Packwood
Post a Comment